The San Diego Brewers Guild (SDBG), a nonprofit organization committed to supporting the more than 150 independent craft breweries in San Diego County, is thrilled to announce that breweries in America’s Finest City scored 17 medals at this year’s Great American Beer Festival (GABF) in Denver, Colorado on Saturday, October 5th.
“The San Diego Brewers Guild is extremely proud of San Diego’s consistently strong showing at GABF,” says Kris Anacleto, Vice President, San Diego Brewers Guild and CEO of Booze Brothers Brewing Co. “It is because of our craft beer community’s pioneering spirit and innovation that San Diego’s craft beer legacy continues to thrive in today’s hyper-competitive national landscape. Congratulations to all of this year’s winners!”
The Great American Beer Festival invites industry professionals from around the world to sit together in small groups and, without knowing the brand name, taste beers in each specified style category. Five different three-hour judging sessions take place over the three-day period during the week of the festival. A panel of 322 industry professionals from 18 countries, blind-tasted and judged 9,497 beers entered by 2,295 breweries in 107 style categories. The highly-coveted gold, silver and bronze medals are awarded to beers that best represent in each category.
Since the first GABF in 1982, San Diego independent breweries have won 233 medals. This year, San Diego’s talented craft brewers took home eight gold, four silver and five bronze. San Diego’s independent craft brewers were awarded medals for brewing excellence in the following categories:
2019 SAN DIEGO WINNERS & CATEGORIES
- AleSmith Brewing Co.: Private Stock Ale (Old Ale or Strong Ale)
- Breakwater Brewing Co.: Rye Dawn (Rye Beer)
- Pizza Port – Bressi Ranch: Chronic Amber Ale (Ordinary or Special Bitter)
- Pizza Port – Solana Beach: SeaSide Stout (Classic Irish-Style Dry Stout)
- Second Chance Beer Co.: Tabula Rasa (Robust Porter)
- SouthNorte Beer Co.: Sea Señor! Mex Lager (American-Style Cream Ale)
- The Lost Abbey: A Creator’s Calling (Aged Beer)
- Two Roots Brewing Co.: Enough Said N/A (Non-Alcoholic or Alcohol Free Beer)
- Coronado Brewing Co.: Freebooter Barleywine (Barley Wine-Style Ale)
- SouthNorte Beer Co.: Agavemente (Specialty Beer)
- Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Liberty Station: Stone Liberty Station Cimmerian Portal (American-Style Stout)
- Thunderhawk Alements: Bowie Knife (American-Style Black Ale)
- Chula Vista Brewery: Browner Than Ivan (American-Style Brown Ale)
- Coronado Brewing Co. – Production Facility: Weekend Vibes IPA (American-Style India Pale Ale) *2nd biggest category, 342 entries
- Kilowatt Brewing: OB Bubble Dubbel (Belgian-Style Dubbel)
- Resident Brewing Co.: Industrial Gris (Belgian- and French-Style Ale)
- Rip Current Brewing: Rescue Buoy Imperial Stout (Imperial Stout)
The sheer volume of award-winning craft breweries in San Diego has earned the city international craft beer recognition, and the local economy is consistently strengthened by the industry. A recent report assembled by Cal State University San Marcos and the San Diego Brewers Guild determined that San Diego’s independent craft brewing industry had an economic impact of $1.2 billion dollars in 2018.
The Capital of Craft will celebrate these wins and the entire local brewing community during San Diego Beer Week which will take place from November 1st through November 10th, 2019.
This annual 10-day event draws locals and tourists alike to attend an estimated 500 beer-centric events hosted throughout the city. Download and use the SD Beer app to navigate all that San Diego’s craft breweries, tasting rooms, bars and restaurants have to offer. For more information about the San Diego Brewers Guild, its brewery and affiliate members as well as all upcoming events, visit sdbeer.com.