Our homies at Shaper Studios & Vans are gearing up for the 5th Annual Shaper Festival of Surfing at SEASIDE REEF (ENCINITAS, CA) on Saturday, May 12, 2018. The world’s first surf contest where every competitor is riding their own handmade surfboard, Shaper Fest is a (free) family friendly beach festival celebrating the art of handcrafted surfboards, local music, and craft beer.
Chris Clark, co-owner of Shaper Studios, founded the contest in 2014 to celebrate local innovators, athletes and artists in the community. “Our company exists to celebrate the art, the history and the tradition of building surfboards,” said Clark. “This festival is an extension of that effort and a way to inspire and give back to the community through not only surfing but also highlighting local craft brewers and local musicians.”
Oh, and providing the YEW’s and brews at the Shaper Festival of Surfing? SHAKE SHACK burgers and fries, THORN BEER and DUCKFOOT BREWING. See YEW at this world class event!
- MENS INVITATIONAL: This division is invitation only.
- Andrew Doheny / @andrew_doheny
- Chase Wilson / @mysterbyrd
- Derrick Disney / @gado_gadoo
- Donald Brink / @donaldbrink
- Josh Kerr / @josh_ker84
- Lucas Dirkse / @lurchas
- Nathan Strom / @nathanstrom_
- Ryan Miller / @da_millman
- MENS LOG INVITATIONAL: This division is invitation only.
- Alex Knost / @knostthankyou
- Kameron Brown / @kameronbrown
- Koby Gilchrist / @kobygilchrist
- Grant Noble / @grantnoble_
- Nico Espinosa / @nicoespi
- Tyler Warren / @tyler_warren
- WOMENS LOG INVITATIONAL: This division is invitation only.
- Erin Worm Ashley / @wormtown
- Jen Smith / @jensmithofaloha
- Karina Rozunko / @karinarozunko
- Leah Dawson / @leahloves
- Makala Smith / @shredsista
- Mele Saili / @mele_saili
- Tara Franz / @tara_franz
- OPEN ALTERNATIVE: This division is for male or female surfers / all ages / any skill level / any self shape surfboard.
- OPEN LOGGER: This division is for male or female surfers / all ages / any skill level / 9ft. plus
In order to participate in the Shaper Festival of Surfing, must ride a board that you shaped yourself. If you shaped it with someone, you must have completed at least 50% of the work. *You do not have to glass your own board but that’s always encouraged. *Your self shape does not have to be from Shaper Studios.
Each heat will be scored on the surfer’s top 2 waves for a total heat score. Alternative equipment is highly encouraged and judges are well versed in scoring single fins, fishes, mini simmons, logs, as well as performance shortboards. Ride whatever you want and have fun out there on an uncrowded peak.
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS at SHAPER Festival of Surfing:
LOCATION: SEASIDE REEF (ENCINITAS, CA)
DATE: SATURDAY, MAY 12
SELF SHAPE SURF CONTEST PRESENTED BY VANS
CHECK IN : 6:00 AM
FIRST HEAT: 7:00 AM
SEMI-FINALS: 12:00 PM
FINALS : 1:00 – 4:00 PM
AWARDS: 5:00 PM
BURGERS & BEER GARDEN 12:00 – 7:00 PM
About Shaper Studios:
Emerging from San Diego’s progressive surf culture, Shaper Studios is a tribute to the original California surf shop. The first surf shops were a place where surfboards were made and a clubhouse for local surfers. Through private Surfboard Shaping Lessons and Group Surfboard Shaping Classes, novice surfers and advanced surfers alike can learn this time-honored craft. Today, Shaper Studios maintains a global presence as the world’s first do-it-yourself surfboard workshop and gathering place for arts, live music and community events. For more information or to find a location near you, visit shaperstudios.com.